Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Get out there and do it.

I work at a senior center.  Did you know that?  We thought it would be fun to have an un-resolution party filled with our most tempting snacks. (yes that will mean some chocolate for me) Most Americans vow to go on a diet,  exercise more,  be nicer to co-workers,  call their families more etc.  etc. etc.  The seniors at our center have lived through wars, depressions,  illness,  death,  the i-phone and still manage to march on without feeling the need to apologize or buy things they really don't need. 
I write this in response to my own thoughts of what should I change or do better in this new year.  I was not sure exactly where to begin,  so I just began with no pomp and circumstance to read a sutra  every morning and to meditate on them.  To not watch so much Today show,  not because I think the tele is evil, but I know my heart and brain will cooperate more if I can find a more peaceful way to start my day.  To create things,  not just of the tangible kind made of fabric or canvas,  but create a new thought pattern that involves moving closer to my center,  to my soul.  To make music again in the form of playing my clarinet again and chanting every morning while still in my PJ's.  By all this I mean to just live joyfully and hopefully spread it around to those I love.
 

Sutra of the Week:
1.3
tada drastuh svarupe avasthanam
Then, the seer dwells in his own true splendour.


*When the waves of consciousness are stilled and silenced, they can no longer distort the true expression of the soul.  Revealed in his own nature,  the radiant seer abides in his own grandeur.


**Light on the Yoga Sutras
 

1 comment: