Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Yesterday I had my book out The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.  It is the version written by Edwin Bryant.  It was sitting out on the desk where I was working and another teacher walked by and said,  "Whos book it that?  Looks new?"  Well.....not so new.  I bought the book about 9 months ago when a freind and teacher said I should own it,  so of course being a good student,  I bought it 

Sometimes it just takes me a little while to get into something.  I am not a fast mover at most things,  especially study, yoga, and running.  Now driving a car is a different story,  wish I could apply my tortise like actions to that too.

I am currently getting into this book because Edwin Bryant is coming to Colorado next month. I do know that I will NEVER make it throught this entire 506 page book with another 30 or so pages of notes by then.  I am ok with that,  gotta start somewhere right? 

Sutra 1.2
Yoga is stilling of the changing states of mind.
Today when you go to practice, have a clear intention of where you want to be before, during, and afterwards.  Then throw it all out the window.  Just practice the asana.  In the Iyengar Method we are taught to listen so much sometimes we forget to listen to ourselves.  While is a pose, think, how does this feel?  Not just, does this look right?  Is my face relaxed, is my breathing irratic or calm.  Notice how when you go for a longer hold how the mind weaves back and forth between body parts,  to parts of your day.  The goal here is to calm those ever moving thoughts to a one pointed focus.  Then after your savasana,  jot down on paper the first thought that comes to you.  IF you want share it here or just keep it to yourself.  Now, go practice.

If you want to study with Edwin,  he will be at the Yoga Shala Boulder in April.



No comments:

Post a Comment