Thursday, March 28, 2013

If you are reading this you already know I am an Iyengar Yoga teacher.  I do not claim to be expert.  I am still a student learning what it means to do yoga and to share what little I know.  You may also know I am the manager of a yoga center here in Denver.  It is funny when I think about it now.  I manage a yoga center.  I manage a bunch of desk staff and teachers.  I look after the building to make sure it is maintained. I make sure the lights turn on and people come in to teach.  I am also trying to build community among the people that enter its doors.  I believe Yoga can bring us together.  Maybe I am naive.  Maybe I am an opimist.  

When you look around today you seen so many kinds of yoga and yoga studios out there.  Ones that are named after there founders,  some named sanskrit terms,  some named after parts of the body:-)  There is something out there for everyone.  I have a friend once that came into town and she said, "I got depressed at the grocery store recently.  It was when I was in the cereal ailse and I could not decide what to get.  There are so many choices,  I decided to not buy anything."  My goal is to not let this happen in the Iyengar community.  As teachers and students of this method,  we should be coming together,  not falling apart at the seams.  I do want to make sure you know I am NOT comparing Iyengar yoga to cereal.....

Last week we had a teachers meeting and one of the owners asked what makes us different.  Someone said, "We have a living Guru!"  How true is that?  How lucky are we?  We have a living teacher and our one goal should be to share his and his family's works.  Another teacher told me, "I want to feel like I am part of a community,  like we are instructors teaching from the same syllabus."  No one could have said it better, this is what I want out of a yoga studio/class.  To be part of something bigger than myself.  We are to learn from his humble beginnings and listen to what is going on the world.  Guruji has changed with the times and so should his teachers.  I think we try so hard to be perfect.  It is our nature in this method. To keep posing, reposing to the point that we forget that we are human.  We are not perfect,  did you know that already? 

I am reading the Rahasya that I just got yesterday. The first article is a transcript from the 10th anniversary of the Iyengar Institute in Mumbai.  He talks about how when he first started teaching yoga that he had to go house to house to tell people yoga was good for them and they laughed at him!  Can you believe anyone laughing at Guruji?  Sometimes I feel the same way when I am telling people who practice other methods about Iyengar and why I love it.  I think sometimes they think I am a little crazy myself.  Thats ok.  I will continue to try to spread the word.  To get more people in our doors because I know someday they will feel as good as I do.  As teachers of any method of yoga,  the best way to get people to do the yoga, is to practice what you preach.  When others see you grow and become the person you always said you would be,  to be the happy person you always wanted to be,    that is what makes others want to do yoga.

2 comments:

  1. Amen Angie! You said it. Practice yoga and live yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharing yoga teacher training india |yoga therapy teachers training india |yoga courses india

    ReplyDelete