Thursday, September 1, 2016

Wrapping up

This is my last blog post, not from India..........

I have been home a couple days now.  Trying to stay awake during the day, sleep during the night to get back on a routine.  I waited to write this as I am still a bit raw from the whole experience. 

India in itself is a place that chews you up and spits you back out somewhat unscathed except in your deepest corners of yourself that you try to forget exist. It increases your global awareness, your self awareness, and makes your standard of clean come down a few notches.  India is a country where you see extreme wealth right on top of extreme poverty.  Not the kind of poverty we have here in good ole' USA.  (I am not downplaying what we have going on here, just saying it gives a sense of perspective those of you who will get up in arms about that blanket statement), but the kind of poverty that makes you cry upon seeing it, you can never un-see something like that, nor should you.

The area of Pune that the RIMYI is located is very nice area.  Of course you still see some things you would never see here, but all in all, I felt safe to walk alone down Hari Krishna Mandir Road.  We were somewhat in a bubble. There was a woman selling veggies most mornings after classes and the coconut man was AWESOME. (for you Renee....).  He always knew I wanted the slippery malai, not to hard, not too soft, just the perfect blend of goodness that comes from those coconuts. (Malai, not to be confused with the band I just found out about while googling malai.  Malai Llama....is this weird or what!)

At the institute, the students are a mixture of young and old,  Indian and foreigners,  experienced and newbies.  Everday, we were asked to sign in. It was so interesting to see the foreigners sign in and see where everyone came from.  Iran, Australia, Canada, France, UK, Israel, Spain, China, Korea, and more! All of the teachers there have such a gift, the way they blend discipline,  humor, philosophy, and physical activity together is unmatched.  They keep students engaged and never once straying from the subject of Yog. (again, just my opinion man) I am already missing the teachings of Prashant, Abhijata, Raya, Sunita, and of course sweet Devki.  It was a privilege to be there under there guidance.

Speaking of privilege,  the last week at RIMYI,  I was fortunate to take medical classes.  I was so scared to ask for help. I sent a letter, it was lost, classic. Then I had a new friend say, "Just ask Abhi.  She will listen!"  I finally got up my nerve, walked right up and then immediately began to perspire. She was so patient with my fumbling words that tumbled out of my mouth. She told me to come to medical the rest of the week. She also said, "Next time, come for 2 months to really make a difference."

I was scared to ask for help mainly because I felt so unworthy, not bad enough for them to help me since my condition cannot be seen on the outside.  Well, I am sure that it is seen on the outside, but only to the trained Iyengar Yoga teacher eyeballs.   I have so much respect for Abhijata and the way she was brought up right under Guruji. In my humble opinion, she is a wonderful blending of Guruji, Geetaji, and Prashantji, with her own dynamic and compassionate personality mixed in.

I went to medical 3 days the last week I was there. I learned so much about how to move my body and to let go of what my mind thought I should be doing.  At the first session, Raya had me in a backbend at the rope wall and he asked, "Sticky mat or wood?"  I said, "sticky mat!"  He adjusted me and let me suffer in the pose for a bit, then came back and said, "Happy Birthday. I have brought you a gift." I said, "It is not by my birthday until November." He said, "It's come early."  Then smiled and put a wooden dowell right down my tailbone and lumbar. This was not small dowell, but it was the most incredible feeling. No pain in my back , no pain in my lower abdomen. Complete freedom came and my mind felt calm, even in this pretty inense pose. This is why I do yoga.  To finally find freedom.

I wanted to share this last post because it made a big impact on my whole month. It felt as thought Abhijata and Raya saw me in a way no other teacher has. I have extremely gifted teachers here in Colorado that I work with, but nothing can replace the teachings from the source and I am bet they would agree.

That's all for now.

Yes, I am wearing bloomers.
I hope it is ok to share these.
In deepest gratitude.
Angie




No comments:

Post a Comment